Wednesday, November 6, 2013































Character design stuff I did for my storytelling class. We were told that our finals (or as close as we'd ever come to one in this class XD ) was to make an animatic out of a folk tale about a person learning the lesson of valuing what you have, no matter how meager it is. The story given to us basically goes as an person is sad that his only possessions barely fit into this one sack that he carries. The person he is speaking to steals the bag from him and lays it at the end of the road for the person to find so that person can learn how important even the smallest of things are after losing it.

The teacher told us that we had free range over a lot of it. Like, we could change the setting, the character's age/gender/ethnicity, etc... as long as the main story's point and general plot is followed.

In my variation, I added a third character who is a thief who steals the child's belongings. The knight-like character is supposed to take back what was stolen from the child, and when the child receives it they appreciate the sack a bit more than they originally did. I added a third character into the story despite the fact that it may be extra work for me to board and plan how to fit three characters into panels and such... I just thought it was what I needed to make the story easier to tell. I'm usually the type of person who muddles around with details, so I had to do something to prevent that and make sure everything could be clear cut. Hence the reason why the thief is just a one-dimensional jerkwad who would steal from a vulnerable child. >__>

I'm going to re-design the thief character for the final animatic because I asked my teacher for a personal critique after class, and she mentioned that the thief character was a bit strange because of the fact that he was the only character who did not really resemble a human. I'll probably post more details on the characters and my character design thoughts later~.

No comments:

Post a Comment